Over the two weeks of winter holidays I finally had some time to watch some movies, some of which were on my to-watch list for quite some time. Two of them were very pleasant surprises:
- Coherence - a very light science fiction, but which has a genius twist on a "well known" quantum physics experiment: Schroedinger's Cat / Quantum Coherence. I don't want to give spoilers, but as the movie progresses and you realize the extent on which there is something wrong with that one law of nature is making your jaw drop. The actors that play in it are not very well know, but they do a great job (and it's fun to read about how the movie was made, with them coming in with a new script every night). 9/10
- Gone Girl - I heard from some colleagues that this was good, but didn't think it would be that good. Lots of twists, some of which are predictable, but they still shock you. The multiple narrative lines are confusing in the beginning, but they make sense after a while. And the ending is interesting: the main character is damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. Also, Rosamund Pike :D
I also watched some movies, that didn't wow me so much:
- Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - It's not a bad movie, but it's not memorable either. After two weeks I barely remember anything else other than "Ape... not... kill... ape".
- Lucy - Honestly, I don't know what I expected. I knew from the trailers that it's about a woman who is forced to smuggle some drugs, accidentally ingests an extra large dose and from that "unlocks" her brain to 100% of its capacity. But c'moooon, it was so stupid, that even Morgan Freeman's narration couldn't sell it. And it just wouldn't stop. Way too much wrong science, way too little action.
- Guardians of the Galaxy - I usually try to avoid watching comic book movies, but for some reason I always end up watching them, thinking "Ooooh, this one looks really cool". And I end up disappointed most of the time. GotG was no exception. I thought that this is a bit less known comic, so it might be different. Well... it was, just in a bad way. The action wasn't that impressive, the jokes weren't that funny, I really didn't understand the bad guys, who they were and where they came from, and the soundtrack... well, I'm sorry, I'm a '90s kid, the '80 are ancient history for me and don't warm my heart. :D
Now let's get back to work :D